FFS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,757
Like?
Re: Hybrid is not that fast
In reply to amalric, Jun 8, 2012

amalric wrote:

FFS wrote:

SHood wrote:

According the Canon the hybrid AF is still noticeably slower than their PDAF. Condering that PDAF already matches PDAF for single AF then it seems like Canon's hybrid approach is not that great.

I would expect that much for Canon Hybrid AF v.1.0.

But I also would expect improvements in Hybrid AF v.1.1 in EOS 700D next year.

What would be good to understand is how hybrid AF might affect Canon mirrorless. Would they have FAST AF on EF lenses? I suspect not, because such a performance requires linear motors and light focussing groups.

It might be marginally faster with old lenses than Oly mirrorless with 4/3 lenses?

Perhaps it might, but so marginally that the market would not be affected.

Am.

Only a test can prove or disprove that.

But why would it need a light focusing group? The body already has the information on how much the lens focusing group needs to move and in which direction from the PDAF pixels in the sensor.

With CDAF there is a need to move the focusing group a little, check for contrast, move in another direction a liitle bit and check again for contrast, ... ad infinitum.

There is no need to do this with PDAF. The body knows where the focusing group would have to be.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YawnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow