Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
Re: Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions
In reply to Tetchist, Jun 8, 2012

Tetchist wrote:

Well, now that the 7's have been out in the wild for a bit, I'm considering actually getting one as an upgrade to the NEX-3 I'm currently in possession of. A few questions/concerns, though:

1) What's the story on the EVF? Is it worth the cost of admission? Anything I should be aware of? I'm specifically looking for any shortcomings or problems I need to be aware of.

2) Speaking of the EVF - and this is a big question I have - I've read that the proximity sensor will keep it turned on and draining battery when the camera is hanging by your side and whatnot. Is there a solution to that? Because that sounds really...aggravating.

3) What's the deal with the movie button? Apparently it ticks a lot of people off because it's quite easy to hit accidentally - what's the story there? Any workarounds, etc?

4) How fast does the 7 turn on and off, and how fast does it 'wake up'? The NEX-3, which I am using now, is quite slow to turn on and wake up. Some of the DSLR's I've used in the past were ready to go almost instantaneously after hitting the on switch, and would 'wake up' from their sleep mode just as fast. Is the 7 there in terms of speed?

5) Is there anything - and I mean anything - else that I should be aware of with the 7 in comparison to both the 3 and a standard DSLR? Something that I may have overlooked or not considered?

Thanks in advance!

(1) The EVF is alone is worth the extra cost. When I was on vacation in San Diago last spring, I couldn't see through the LCD screen on a bright beach when I had the NEX-5. And I had to use my glasses. With the EVF and it's diapter adjustment, I can see everything and don't need glasses, and I can see everything, which wasn't the case with the NEX-5 without the EVF.

(2) I always turn off my camera when not in use so this has never been a problem with the EVF.

(3) Movie button is a problem. Always turn off camera when not using it or you could take movies of what goes on inside your camera bag, and it might even take movies of you going 'pee-pee' inside the toilet. It's no problem when I take photos in the horizontal position, but when I switch to vertical position, I can accidently hit the movie button sometimes. I got around this by using 3/4" circular felt pads used to put on bottems of display objects to protect furnature tops. They have a self adhesive side so you can stick them on the camera, -after puching a 1/4" hole in the center for the movie button. Worked great on my trip to Grand Canyon.
(4) Probably as slow as the NEX-5 and NEX-3.

(5) If you liked the NEX-3, you'll probably love the NEX-7. Just consider the NEX-7 as the NEX-3's grown-up brother. Anyway, that's the way I think of it when I had my NEX-5. If I hated the NEX-5, I certainly would not have traded it off for the NEX-7.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow