Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nancy and Pete Spader
Senior MemberPosts: 2,050
Like?
Using the SD14 to copy prints of my old 35mm shots
Jun 8, 2012

I have a number of my old 35mm film shots I still have prints of on my walls. These are shots which I would like to convert to digital. Unfortunately I cannot find the negatives of these pictures. Having seen the great work Gary Mercer did (does?) recording paintings using Sigma cameras so I decided to experiment using the SD14 and flash. I am pleased with the results because the colors are remarkable accurate. The technique I ended up using was to point the flash up about 45 or more degrees until I no longer had a bright area appearing on the print. I ended up using 70mm to get the flash back from ther print which helped as well. I used Apeture priority and AWB, and I used the Flash on TTL.

Incidentally the coastline shot was taken using a Konica TC 35mm camera with its 50mm lens. The Colorado Rockies shot and the Heron Pond shot were both taken with a Nikon N70 and a good Nikon zoom lens. I do not remember exactly what film we used but it was not slide film. It was one of Kodak's "Professional" films which had a mildly warm color at a time when people were going for over the top color. Their "professional" films seemed a little more consistent as well, though they did cost a little more.

The prints have held up well given the fact that the Ogunquit Maine coastline picture was taken in 1986 and the other two were taken over 10 years ago. They are showing some physical wear and warping a little as well, but the colors are good and these prints remind me why it took so long to tear me away from film.

We like the coastline shot because Ogunqit has a nice pathway looking down on the rocks from about 50 feet or so, called the “Marginal Way,” which gives you an excellent angle to take pictures. The Heron Pond shot at Five Rivers Environmental Educational Center is special because the large tree on the right side fell into the pond the next winter and this particular view is now gone. The Colorado Mountain shot is special because it was taken on our last trip to see Willy and Emmy Merrill and it is a memory of a nicer time for us all. Also, as Willy says, there isn’t a really bad vista anywhere in Colorado.

I expect using a really good scanner on the negatives would give a better transfer and if we find them we will do that, but in the meantime we have a very decent digital record of pictures we care about.

Ogunquit ME Coastline

Information and other sizes (including original size) are at:
http://www.pbase.com/image/143894010/large

Heron Pond

http://www.pbase.com/pspader/image/143894011/large

Colorado Rockies

http://www.pbase.com/pspader/image/143894012/large

Pete and Nancy

Sigma SD14
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow