Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,736
Like?
200-400/4L - how much would you pay?
Jun 8, 2012

I think I'm a whisker away from placing an order for a 300/2.8L IS II and both MkIII Extenders. Best price in the UK for the three together is in the region of £5700.

One of the things which is stopping me (apart from abject fear of spending such a large amount on a toy) is the impending launch of the 200-400/4L. This is near enough the same optical size of lens, the only thing missing being the option of f/2.8 at 300 mm which would be nice to have but it's not mission-critical for me. Thanks to the built-in 1.4x, I wouldn't need to pay for any additional Extenders.

A major reason for choosing the 300 plus TCs instead of a larger lens like the 500/4 is its excellent portability (I want to backpack it), but I would be willing to give up some of that for the unbeatable convenience of the zoom.

But it's going to be very expensive. At street price, how much more would you be willing to pay over and above the £5700 (or the price in your country) for the 200-400? I'm not asking for speculation re the actual price - but how much of a premium over the 300-plus-Extenders price would you actually be willing to fork out before deciding it's just too dear?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow