Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ChrisWal
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
What kit to take to the Olympics?
Jun 8, 2012

On the third attempt I was finally able to get some tickets for a daytime athletics session at the London 2012 Olympics. Naturally (at least for the folk who frequent these forums) my thoughts have already turned to what kit to take on the day. I'm definitely going to take a DSLR and a couple of lenses, but which ones? Things to bear in mind include I'm going with my wife and two youngish girls so space for kit in the bag will be limited. I also don't think we'll be that close to the action so should I just give up on trying to get quality shots of the sport? I'll have a compact in my pocket too. Here's what I have to choose between and my thoughts so far:

DSLR - E620 or E5?

Short lens - 14-42, 14-54(version 1) or 11-22?

Long lens - 40-150 (version 1 or 2), 70-300, 50-200?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. There's no "right answer" and I'm just seeking a light hearted discussion on the various pros and cons. My thoughts so far: whilst I generally have no problem carrying the bigger kit around, I'm tempted to go light-weight and just take the 620, 14-42 and 40-150 (2). Should I throw in my EC-14? What do you think?

Cheers

Chris

ChrisWal's gear list:ChrisWal's gear list
Olympus SP-350 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-620 +15 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow