★ Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 217, June/6/2012 ★

Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: ★ Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 217, June/6/2012 ★
In reply to jkrumm, Jun 8, 2012

jkrumm wrote:

Looking at both, the bottom one has a more distinct foreground, which I prefer. It's a little hard to tell but the grass in front seems soft, like it was out of the depth of field. Could be just a problem with the posted, dpr squeezed jpeg. Overall it's a pleasant scene, but next time I would try fo a foreground that stands out more. Even getting closer to the grass can help. I like the power tower, but others might not.

Yes, the focal points are different for the two shots. I am glad you caught that. One is put to the middle green grass area to keep most everything in sight in focus. The other version I focused in the mountain area, intentionally to keep the red tall grass out of DoF (because it's not the central theme of the photo. Its purpose is to frame the photo and keep the composition balanced). 4/3 sensor size does mean the DoF is greater so the effect is not distinct enough to tell a difference. I shot several versions of them just for that purpose and experiment which one works better. Sometimes what I think is right is in fact, incorrect, so I usually bracketed..., just to be safe. I am glad you mentioned that. It's one of the things I would like to know.

When you said getting closer, do you mean use a wider angle to keep DoF great?

I actually don't like the power tower, because I don't like human-made stuff appears in my natural landscape. Since it's unavoidable, so I put it into use, and specifically put it in one of the the third lines. In fact, the one that was focus in the mountain area, I focused on that tower.... If you can't beat them, join them.

Thanks for the C&C.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RoelNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow