Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
matreshka
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
MTF of 40 2.8 not bad at all
Jun 8, 2012

Hey, guys, have you seen the MTF of 40 2.8? It is not bad at all.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_40mm_f_2_8_stm

Peer comp: If we compare it to 35 2, which looks like to be the closest rival of 40 2.8, the latter is much better both from sharpness and contrast perspective - not only wide open but at f8 as well.

Recent lens comp: 40 2.8 may be a little bit less sharp and it provides less contrast than the new 28 2.8 wide open (very tiny difference) but they are very close to each other when stopped down to f8.

Price/weight/size rival comp: in accorance with MTF charts 40 2.8 would give you a more sharper and contrast picture as compared to 50 1.8 bot wide opened and at f8. Which is amazing as the 40 2.8 is a very thinny lens. In terms of sharpness there would not be much difference at f8, but 40 2.8 would be much sharper wide open

as opposed to 50 1.8 (well it may not be appropriate to compare they wide open as 1.8 and 2.8 is a huge difference, but still).

I think i will buy 40 2.8 as it would convert my 5diii into P&S size apparatus retaining superb sharpness and contrast.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow