Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions
In reply to Tetchist, Jun 8, 2012

Tetchist wrote:

Well, now that the 7's have been out in the wild for a bit, I'm considering actually getting one as an upgrade to the NEX-3 I'm currently in possession of. A few questions/concerns, though:

1. Do you wear glasses? Do you do a lot of stealthy shooting? If the answer is yes to either of these, the NEX-7 EVF might not get as much use as you think it will.

2. You can set the display to EVF only or LCD only, and the proximity sensor will be off, but you might prefer the flexibility. Just turn off the camera when not in use. Powerup speed is pretty good, and bring an extra battery.

3. If you develop a habit with the grip, you won't trigger movies too often. It is more of a problem, IMO, with the NEX-5N. The rubberized grip on the back actually leads your thumb away from the button.

4. It isn't the speed demon my Nikon is (in terms of on/off), but I don't think you'll miss many shots. Don't obsess about the battery drain potential and leave it on. I use a wrist strap, so I don't have a problem draining the battery, unless it is forgetting to turn it off when stowing it in the bag. But the speed of the NEX-7 shooting is incredible (apart from focusing/focus tracking). With some lenses like the CZ 24, the focus speed is very good for its class.

5. If operational speed is your thing, and you want mirrorless, OM-D is not to be ignored. That system rocks, and seems to hit all the right buttons. But if you want APS-C, legacy lenses that are only 1.5x instead of 2x, and don't demand extensive selection of native lenses, you will love the NEX-7.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow