A57 fails to impress DXO.

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,364
Like?
Re: Reality check.
In reply to jdm_777, Jun 7, 2012

jdm_777 wrote:

I worry that the A99 may not get that much higher score than the A900. By looking at these trends, maybe the A99 will just get High Iso score of 1800 or 1900. And 13 Evs and 24 bits.

This is limit of translucent mirror? I hope Sony can prove me wrong.

As said by many people, those "scores" don't tell you much as it's a single data point on a 18% SNR scale. The graphs are more telling.

Let's theorize based on the earlier assumptions:

If that single data point would show a value of around 1900 (quite possible), you'd arrive at around D3 level (less than a third of a stop difference) .. at that data point. But current sensors no longer show a slope downwards as strong as the D3/D700 when you move further up the ISO scale, so that would translate into slightly better performance towards ISO 6400 and above. Probably equal or better in deep shadows thanks to lower read noise. And I'd certainly expect more than 13 stops of DR when the current A57 already passes that value.

But sure, you'd be atleast half a stop shy of a D4/D3S performance, all else being equal. Would that really be a dealbreaker though?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow