Why do m4/3 shooters feel threated so by "Equivalence" ???

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 16,930Gear list
Like?
Re: @Anders
In reply to Amin Sabet, Jun 7, 2012

Amin Sabet wrote:

Anders W wrote:

According to Wikipedia's definition "a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

As Joe can attest, there have been times when I would have defended him with very similar words to your own. Over the years I've come to think highly of Joe as a person and also find him generally likable, which leads to my feeling conflicted about whether he is really trolling here.

However, I currently feel that Joe's behavior in this forum is a strong form of trolling based on the following:

1) I believe his actual level of interest in the Micro 4/3 system to be very modest. This is based on the overall gut feeling I get from his posts plus the degree to which I know ultra-shallow DOF to be a signature aspect of his photographic style. With a low level of interest in MFT, there is little constructive reason for him to spend so much time in this forum.

2) The net effect of his posts is strongly inflammatory. You have argued that the actual substance of his posts is not inflammatory, and I have looked through the same lenses you are wearing now at different times in the past, but Joe knows that his effect on this forum is disruptive, and he knows that there are Micro 4/3 users in this forum who will generally make the same points he makes without a similarly disruptive effect.

It certainly seems to me that Joe enjoys the disruptive and emotional effects of his inflammatory role in this forum and that he otherwise has little reason to speed so much time here. I feel that he thus convincingly fits your Wikipedia definition of a troll. However, I certainly understand and respect where your're coming from, having once been there, despite the fact that I don't subscribe to your point of view.

I understand what you are saying. But for reasons that I have already made clear, I do not agree with your classifying him as a troll inasmuch as his behavior, in my view, does not match the definition. In my view, it is an important rule of conduct in any debate not to speculate about people's motivations. I hate it when people do that to me, not only because they are mostly wrong but also because it is irrelevant. Exactly why people say (or not say) this or that has no bearing on the question of whether they are substantively right or wrong. So I prefer to approach things based on what they say rather than why they say it, particularly since the former is evident and the latter usually not. And I think all discussions, whether on Internet fora or elsewhere, benefit from that approach.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Heh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow