Yosemite with a 7D?

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
cambomj
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
Re: Yosemite with a 7D?
In reply to kjbkix, Jun 7, 2012

kjbkix wrote:

I agree that any time is a good time for Yosemite, except if it snows and the roads are all blocked off!

Anyway, I disagree that your current kit will suffice. 20mm is not nearly wide enough for the vast landscapes you'll come across, although stitching is an option (though a time-consuming one). I'd actually go as far as to say that you're covered in all the wrong places when it comes to Yosemite, or any national park, because you could use a bit more length also for wildlife.

If you don't shoot wide often enough (you'll already know whether 24mm doesn't suffice here), just rent a good UWA for the week. Canon 10-22 is nice for you because it means coverage right through to your 24-105. Sigma 8-16 for crazy wide, but 10mm should suffice.

I'd also recommend grabbing a 1.4 or 2x TC for your 70-200, in case you come across any wildlife which you may not want to get all that close to!

So take the rented UWA, the 24-105, and 70-200 w/TC, and you're all set. If you're doing other things on the vacation, I'm sure the 50 1.4 will come in handy also, but you won't get much use from that in the park.

Have fun!

I'm from Sydney, is renting an option for o/s visitors? Oh, I forgot I already have a 2x TC from my old Sigma 70-200. It's not great (it's not really that good either :)) but it might fill that gap if it were required.

Thanks for posting..

cambomj's gear list:cambomj's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow