Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
DuncanDovovan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
Like?
Re: Operator error, IMO.
In reply to Nell27, Jun 7, 2012

Nell27 wrote:

JohnK wrote:

I disagree that the failure, if any, is with the camera. It's infinitely customizable. The failure is not taking advantage of the available settings instead of using it like a P+S.
--
JohnK

Sorry John but I'll have to disagree with you here.

A person should not be expected to set a custom white balance of custom anything for each and every picture of a person.

There is a problem with skin tones on NEX cameras (at least on the 5n) and the only people who don't see/understand the problem are the inexperienced photographers.

With a custom white balance skin tones will look better but they still tend to be yellow.

In very good lighting and under ideal conditions the camera will get it right about 50% of the time.

I do not consider myself to be a inexperienced photographer. Because of that I know that if you set any camera to AUTO-something, there will be situations where the camera will make a decision you don't agree with.

If you think the NEX-7 is making such suggestions, then shoot raw and choose the WB to your liking.

For me the 1st picture of the OP looks normal for a sunset and an asian skin.

The 2nd picture looks normal to me.

The solution is probably to shoot raw and adjust in PP to your liking.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow