Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
William R Wood
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
Re: Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions
In reply to Tetchist, Jun 7, 2012

Tetchist wrote:

Well, now that the 7's have been out in the wild for a bit, I'm considering actually getting one as an upgrade to the NEX-3 I'm currently in possession of. A few questions/concerns, though:

1) What's the story on the EVF? Is it worth the cost of admission? Anything I should be aware of? I'm specifically looking for any shortcomings or problems I need to be aware of.

EVF is great, definitely worth cost. No shortcomings or problems.

2) Speaking of the EVF - and this is a big question I have - I've read that the proximity sensor will keep it turned on and draining battery when the camera is hanging by your side and whatnot. Is there a solution to that? Because that sounds really...aggravating.

Not an issue for me since I use a wrist strap but not an issue anyway, just turn cam off if necessary.

3) What's the deal with the movie button? Apparently it ticks a lot of people off because it's quite easy to hit accidentally - what's the story there? Any workarounds, etc?

Movie button not an issue, I have never pushed the button by mistake. Cannot understand the people who complain.

4) How fast does the 7 turn on and off, and how fast does it 'wake up'? The NEX-3, which I am using now, is quite slow to turn on and wake up. Some of the DSLR's I've used in the past were ready to go almost instantaneously after hitting the on switch, and would 'wake up' from their sleep mode just as fast. Is the 7 there in terms of speed?

Cam turns off and on very fast, almost instantaneously.

5) Is there anything - and I mean anything - else that I should be aware of with the 7 in comparison to both the 3 and a standard DSLR? Something that I may have overlooked or not considered?

No, N7 is a great cam. I have a big DSLR - Canon 1DMkII, works great but it is too big to carry around, I hate it but I love the N7. N7 menus suck but once you get it setup to your liking all is well.

My only gripe is lack of more high quality native E-mount lenses and a standard hot shoe. Don't want adapters.

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow