Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?
Re: Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions
In reply to Tetchist, Jun 7, 2012

Tetchist wrote:

Well, now that the 7's have been out in the wild for a bit, I'm considering actually getting one as an upgrade to the NEX-3 I'm currently in possession of. A few questions/concerns, though:

1) What's the story on the EVF? Is it worth the cost of admission? Anything I should be aware of? I'm specifically looking for any shortcomings or problems I need to be aware of.

The EVF in my opinion, is the best feature of the NEX-7. It is truly amazing. Crystal clear, amazing quality and you can see how your picture will come out before you take it. (if it's under/over exposed, what's in focus, etc)....without having to look at the back LCD screen and having to cover it because of glares from the sun. The EVF is by far a spectacular feature you gotta have.

2) Speaking of the EVF - and this is a big question I have - I've read that the proximity sensor will keep it turned on and draining battery when the camera is hanging by your side and whatnot. Is there a solution to that? Because that sounds really...aggravating.

Yes, simple. Turn the camera off when you are not using it. I always did that with my DSLR's anyways. The start up time is extremely fast when turned on. Take your pictures, turn it off. Then turn it back on when needed.

3) What's the deal with the movie button? Apparently it ticks a lot of people off because it's quite easy to hit accidentally - what's the story there? Any workarounds, etc?

The movie button wasn't placed in the most convenient of places, but it is NOT terrible. Have I accidentally pressed it? Yes.

I did a few times at first, but now that I know my way around the NEX-7, I know how to properly grip it when I'm using it and I never press the movie button now.

4) How fast does the 7 turn on and off, and how fast does it 'wake up'? The NEX-3, which I am using now, is quite slow to turn on and wake up. Some of the DSLR's I've used in the past were ready to go almost instantaneously after hitting the on switch, and would 'wake up' from their sleep mode just as fast. Is the 7 there in terms of speed?

It turns off extremely fast and it's just as fast when you turn it on.

5) Is there anything - and I mean anything - else that I should be aware of with the 7 in comparison to both the 3 and a standard DSLR? Something that I may have overlooked or not considered?

I don't really understand your question, but the NEX-7 is the most advanced mirrorless digital camera in my opinion. It gives you as good, if not better, image quality than any other APS-C sensor DSLR in the market, at a smaller size, and it has all the same shooting functions plus other extras. It is by far the best camera I have ever used....and I've owned several Nikon and Canon DSLR's over the years.

As far as the video, it is the BEST video quality I've ever seen in ANY digital camera.

My co-worker has a 5D Mark II and he's jealous of the video the NEX-7 takes. The quality is truly superb.

You will NOT be disappointed. If you want a camera that's relatively small, weighs very little and gives you both incredible image quality photos and video....it's a MUST buy.

Thanks in advance!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow