Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TomFL
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
5D3 Track and Field
Jun 7, 2012

I brought my 5D3 / 70-200 Mk II to my nephew's track and field championship last weekend. A few photos from the event are shown below. A couple observations:

• I was testing the focus system relative to my old 7D and came away pretty happy. The keeper rate was well over 50%, with most focus misses being foreground objects etc. that were easy to understand what went wrong. It is noted that track and field isn't the most demanding sport for advanced focus systems. My overall impression is that 5D3 > 7D.

• I was using center point with 4 point expansion, AI Servo, Focus Mode 1 (General Purpose).

• I was not happy with the short burst rate capability with raw files. About 2 to 3 seconds. I quickly discovered that I had to change to JPEG to get continuous shooting. For $3500 I was hoping for more after coming from the 7D which has a longer burst rate.

• The downside of long burst rates is having to go through 900+ pictures and parse them. LR4 on my laptop made this a bit agonizing. Would have been better off deleting images on camera first.

• As mentioned in the DPR camera review, the JPEG processing on the 5D3 tends to lose detail. Hopefully will be fixed in a firmware update, but not a huge issue anyway.

Most of these pictures are cropped. The one on the curve was taken with a 2x adapter from a very long distance away.

The thrill of victory...and the agony of defeat:

The leading girl won the 100m state title, and the other had to be carried off the track after pulling her hamstring.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow