Yosemite with a 7D?

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114
Like?
Re: Yosemite with a 7D?
In reply to cambomj, Jun 7, 2012

You can use your 20-35mm with a tripod and shoot a panorama if you need a wide FoV. If you do want to invest in a UWA lens I highly suggest staying with the Canon brand and getting the 10-22mm. It has the most resistance to flare and can shoot into the sun. A very very good lens and worth the extra cost.

Be sure and hike to Vernal Falls!! It is spectacular! Ideally you want to go to Yosemite in the late Spring when the falls are running full tilt.

I noticed that you are from AUS? If this is your only trip to California then you definitely must visit Sequoia National Park about a 4hr drive south of Yosemite. Ck it out on Google Images. If you go there make sure you check the weather for possible snow showers. Generally there is no snow there in Nov.

Enjoy your visit to CA !!

Bill

cambomj wrote:

Hi all,

I've just booked a trip to California with the fam for this coming November and have a couple of days booked in Yosemite. I have no idea on whether this is a good time of year to visit but it is just fortuitous as I am in the area.

I'm seeking your advices please... I'm not really a landscape photographer but more of a portraits guy. I really love my kit BUT I'm thinking I need a wide angle lens to compliment my landscape capabilities.

I currently own :
7D,

Canon 20-35mm - had this for a long time but not very useful as the range is all wrong
Canon 24-105mm - main lens; length suits my style. Irreplaceable.
Sigma 50mm 1.4 - simply adore this lens for portraits
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - mmmm...

I know a good photographer can just about use anything but I do sometimes feel restricted in width and do not wish to be caught wanting in such a remarkable environment. I like the thought of the Canon 10-22mm, and the price of the Sigma 10-20 seems right but I just don't know and I am keen to hear some thoughts and your recommendations.

I'm really looking forward to the trip and want to purchase the lens soon and start developing my landscape skills

Also really keen to hear of any tips and must-dos whilst I am there

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

img7d

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow