Scott Bourne - From Aperture 3 to LR4

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,449Gear list
Like?
Re: OH NO! Aperture's about to be updated! LR fans panic!
In reply to AndrewScott, Jun 7, 2012

I hear you. My earlier post was a bit over the top - I was just having some fun. In fact, I've often admired LR from a technical standpoint. When LR had selective adjustments and AP2 didn't, I held my breath for AP3 and was amply rewarded. Now I'm looking at LR's lens corrections and Topaz Labs' awesome NR and sharpening plugins and wishing these were integrated into Ap's RAW workflow. There's always something more to want. Same with cameras.

What I can't stand, though, is bad UI design. The Nikon D800 has an amazing sensor, but I just can't tolerate the horrible mess that is Nikon's menu system. I also can't forgive Canon's bunching all the AF points in a tight central group on the "prosumer" cameras (excepting, of course, the 5D3). That's why I wouldn't consider getting a D700, D800 or 5D2, and why I never considered switching to LR, with its modal workflow, even when it had some tools I wanted. If it gets in the way, it's just going to make me less productive and less happy about doing my work. My Canon 1D3 and Aperture 3 make me happy by getting out of my way and letting me work the way I want to.

I've been through the "Apple's abandoning Aperture!" speculation before and give it no credence. Quick support for the 5D3 and D800 put that bunk to rest. Lens correction and better NR and sharpening are the obvious new features Apple needs to add. What I'm curious about is what else they're going to do that will again put Aperture in the lead. iPhoto for iOS may offer some clues, as it has some very cool and intuitive one-swipe adjustments, a la Nik Control Points, that would work really nicely with a Magic Trackpad.

AndrewScott wrote:

I was a LR user and now Aperture, just prefer the interface and way it works. Horses for courses.

Its always a leapfrog game, same as canon and nikon.

If aperture worked for you last week, it will work for you next week. If its not doing something you need, switch, otherwise stay happy and more money in the bank

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow