Flat view
Mikael 1984
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Going to Greece, take 100L or 70-300L?
Jun 7, 2012

Hi,

This is my first post to dpreview

I am going to travel to Greece (Rhodes island) during summer and I was hoping to hear some advice from people traveling there (or in similar places) about lens selection.

I am thinking taking my 30D with me to travel light (1DmkII might be too heavy and would need 430 EX flash too). I was thinking of taking with me at least:

• 17-40L as a general lens using it probably most of the time

• 50 1.8 for some low light stuff

For telephoto I am a bit unsure which one to take. Choices would be either 100L or 70-300L. I was thinking that 100L would be a bit better due to smaller size, F2.8 & IS, possible macro shots in butterfly valley or detail shots in church/museum. But, would there be situations where I would need more reach (like boat trips) or would 100 mm (or 160 mm on 30D) be sufficient most of the time? I do like to use 70-300L for birds, but I think I won't be doing that in Greece... especially as the lens seems to be drawing some attention.

Appreciate your feedback

Mikael

Mikael 1984's gear list:Mikael 1984's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Canon EOS 30D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow