High-end compact cameras (S-series Canon): is the better IQ parallel to the extra $ ?

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ericinho
Regular MemberPosts: 493
Like?
High-end compact cameras (S-series Canon): is the better IQ parallel to the extra $ ?
Jun 7, 2012

Simple question: when browsing through some pics made with compact camera's and compact travelcameras, the question arrised if the more serious and expensive cameras like the S95/S100 (or competitor offerings like the Olympus XZ1, Pana LX5, Fuji x100 etc) are really worth the extra cash if you compair their IQ with cheaper compacts like for example a travelzoom like the powershot sx260HS or the SX30/40?

because when i go through the pics, it becomes a matter of pixelpeeping to see differences between pics taken in daylight, and sometimes even with pics taken at higher ISO values. And I am not even talking about prints made of them, where at normal size photos the difference disappears all together.

So I am not talking about features, flexibility or RAW shooting, but simple OOC JPEG quality.

Love to hear you opinions

Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow