Do you break photographic rules to get the shot?

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FriendlyWalkabout
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Do you break photographic rules to get the shot?
Jun 7, 2012

As a photographer I am an untrained uneducated beginner and a 'wanna be photographer' I love to experiment, push the limits and sometimes break the rules to see just how rigid the walls of our little boxes really are. While experimenting I have managed to get some photos I kind of like by breaking the few rules I've heard.

Here are a few, Please be brutal and CC. Also I would love to see other examples where photographic rules have been broken to get the shot or you have had to do something outside the ordinary.

This little girl was bored and stuck at an adults event when she wanted to be somewhere else. I wanted communicate this in the image and had her facing out of the frame away from her mother and everything else. I wanted the man in the background to lose prominence without cropping him out of the scene altogether, so I turned the flash off and upped the EV to clip him out with the resulting white.

These 2 girls were following me around and placing themselves in the shot while I was trying to get a landscapes of a beach and fishing boats. Instead of getting angry I turned the camera directly to them. One wanted to pose with her friend while the other wanted to go solo. I anticipated a tussle and zoomed in for a close portrait of the 2, flipped up the flash to capture a clear still of their faces with a slow shutter and pre focused on the ground where I thought they might go. I only got the one image!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow