A Bit Disappointed With NEX7 and Sports Photography

Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,570Gear list
Like?
re: a bit less than A65...
In reply to jpr2, Jun 7, 2012

Here's what the imaging resource have to say in their A55 test.

When it comes to speed for sports shooting, the Sony A55 absolutely blows away every other DSLRs anywhere near its price bracket. It's hardly fair to compare its behavior with that high-end pro cameras costing literally five to eight times as much. (The Canon 1D Mark IV and the Nikon D3s, for example.)

We shot side by side with the Sony A55 and a Canon 7D, and felt that the A55's AF [tracking] performance here was pretty similar to that of the much more expensive Canon.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA55/AA55A.HTM

I've seen mixed reports of the prowess of the Sony SLTs in AF tracking relative to the competition. IMO, it's going to depend on the focusing speed of the lens that's attached.

My own experience of the LA-EA2 (I own one), the A65 and A77 (I've used them alongside the NEX+LA-EA2 with the same lens) is that they're all lightening fast to focus with a fast-focusing lens, and all sluggish with slower-focusing lenses. I didn't notice a difference in focusing speed between them when the same lens was used on each.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow