Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Liberty555
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
The price of genuine lens hoods
Jun 7, 2012

I have a few Canon L lenses which of course come with hoods and I generally prefer to shoot with a hood on. I know the use of hoods is not quite as contentious as the use of UV filters, but on my non-L lenses I struggle to see why I should pay up to 10% of the lens price for a hood…

I recently went to a local camera shop to buy a lens hood for my Canon 50f1.4 and was expected to pay $50 for the ES-71II. I baulked at this and decided to hit ebay… I bought a copy for - get this - $2.99 including postage - delviered to my door.

Yes, its a little lighter in material grade than the genuine article but other than that its perfect. I took a little nail polish remover and removed the printed text on it (as it was not written perfectly straight and I'm a bit OCD on these things…) and cleaned it up.

I'm now struggling to see how the manufacturers can justify the cost of the lens hoods. I know they don't need to justify it… people will keep buying them - but for me this is a first time departure from the OEM path I've always trod.

I feel liberated… and with the $47 I saved, I took the family out for dinner and took photos!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow