Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BigMaxx
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
TX20 Saga
Jun 7, 2012

My route to buying the TX20 has been a saga, so if you're not interested in a wordy review, stop reading. This is part 1 of 2 & the second part will be under this one. Although I have a long background in black-and-white photography with quality cameras, my recent life has led me to the desire for a camera I tote everywhere. I am completely willing to sacrifice high quality for getting the shot. I've gone through several Casio models--z850, s770, z1200, s12--and have been very happy with them. Reasonable IQ, small in size, and a wonderful user interface. Most recent was the s12, which DPreview is way off on its spec sheet. The s12 is thinner than the TX20 by about 1 mm except for the lens ring, where it's about the same.

So ideally I wanted to stay in the same size ballpark, but I became fixated on a non-extending lens camera. First try was the TX55, which was a bit thinner and smaller--seemingly ideal. However, the deal-breaker for me was the playback interface. The s12 in particular and Casios in general have the best user interface I've seen in a camera, and very customizable. I didn't really want a touch screen, but it looked like with my size and lens requirements, the TX55 was the best shot. But the photo review interface was horrible.

A good part of my camera use is showing in-camera pictures to friends and family. With the TX55, the pictures show up first with all kinds of info icons cluttering the screen. One has to wait 4 or 5 seconds for them to go away, to get a clear view on that grand screen. So I could have lived with that if you could then flip through the images without the icons coming back. It was supposed to work that way, but I couldn't do it. Each flip was interpreted as a tap-and-flip, and the d*mn icons would come back again. So another 4 second wait if I was showing pix to friends, or just reviewing. Sony, what are you doing!! I debated with myself, but just couldn't keep it.

Next was the Fuji z900exr. Good: very nice screen, good build quality and feel, excellent touch screen, and the ability to turn off the info icons! However, it was a bit on the bulky side, compared to both the TX55 and the s12. And the real deal-breakers were two fold. Whenever zooming while shooting a movie, the image would completely defocus until zooming stopped. Fuji, what are you doing!! And, the low light movie sensitivity was really bad. Plus the images weren't as good as the TX55--in fact, about the same as the two year old s12.
(part 2 follows)

Casio Exilim EX-S770 Fujifilm FinePix Z900EXR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow