ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AC1
AC1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
Canon catchup
Jun 7, 2012

I'm a canon guy (S95 and 7D). And very happy. No plans to defect quite yet.

This isn't based on any science but I just have a gut feeling from following new releases over the last 2-3 yrs that Canon seem to be lagging a bit. Recent examples that spring to mind are the 5D3 vs D800 (mainly dynamic range) and the S100 vs Sony RX100 (IQ, IOS performance and many other points).

The narrative seems to be a repetitive theme along the lines of "Canon produced a very competent camera but the recent release from Nikon/Sony/take-your-pick takes things one step further and we only hope Canon has a good response in the pipeline..."

I always thought that natural product phasing meant that the different manufacturers tended to leapfrog over each other with each new release, thereby raising the bar to everyone's benefit. And so the leader kind of rotated periodically.

But gut instinct (I told you there was no science to prove it) just makes me feel that in recent times Canon hasn't so much leap-frogged with each release, it has only managed to catch up.

Debatable?

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow