One concern over Sony RX100 and Canon G1X cameras.

Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
Re: One concern over Sony RX100 and Canon G1X cameras.
In reply to jonikon, Jun 6, 2012

jonikon wrote:

One thing that concerns me with these larger fixed lens cameras like the Sony RX100 is how can the sensor be cleaned when dust gets on it.

Same way you clean the sensor of any fixed-lens camera when dust gets on it: send it to a professional repair center.

Apparently you have to send the camera in for repair at a huge cost to the owner, or live with the dust spots and clone them out later in post processing.

So you did know, huh.

Or are we to assume dust on the sensor will not be an issue with a fixed lens camera?

For the most part, no it won't. I've never had a single problem with it on any of my fixed-lens cameras, and the only issues I've heard from others have all been due to manufacturing defects (ie, dust got in while it was being built) rather than continued, normal use.

Oh, wait, I did hear someone got some sand in their lens once, while taking their camera to the beach during a windy day. He had to send it for repair, but I think it didn't cost that much; around $30 or so. It was years ago, though, so YMMV now.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Draek

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow