Sony just stole Canon's lunch (RX100 vs G1X)

Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051
Like?
Sony just stole Canon's lunch (RX100 vs G1X)
Jun 6, 2012

I was holding out for a G1X price-drop, and now out of nowhere Sony comes out with a pocket monster that pretty much stole the money that was going towards a G1X.

What got me excited:

1) The AF performance. It is worlds apart faster and better than the G1X (from Imaging Resource's detailed review).
2) The F/1.8 lens!
3) Slightly thicker than s100 but still pants-pocketable

4) IQ that almost matches the G1X (maybe 2/3 stop worse at high ISO, but F/1.8 makes up for this)

5) 10fps continuous shooting @ fixed AF (2.5fps with continuous AF still not bad)

6) $150 cheaper than G1X. It is the price that the G1X should have been. And even if the G1X drops to $650 right now, the RX100 is still the better overall camera.

Canon might still have a shot at my money in the future if they release a G2X that fixes all the shortcomings of the G1X. There is a place for both that and the RX100 to coexist (their sizes are in different categories) But for now, Sony gets my lunch money.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow