Sony just stole Canon's lunch (RX100 vs G1X)

Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trale
Contributing MemberPosts: 941
Like?
Sony just stole Canon's lunch (RX100 vs G1X)
Jun 6, 2012

I was holding out for a G1X price-drop, and now out of nowhere Sony comes out with a pocket monster that pretty much stole the money that was going towards a G1X.

What got me excited:

1) The AF performance. It is worlds apart faster and better than the G1X (from Imaging Resource's detailed review).
2) The F/1.8 lens!
3) Slightly thicker than s100 but still pants-pocketable

4) IQ that almost matches the G1X (maybe 2/3 stop worse at high ISO, but F/1.8 makes up for this)

5) 10fps continuous shooting @ fixed AF (2.5fps with continuous AF still not bad)

6) $150 cheaper than G1X. It is the price that the G1X should have been. And even if the G1X drops to $650 right now, the RX100 is still the better overall camera.

Canon might still have a shot at my money in the future if they release a G2X that fixes all the shortcomings of the G1X. There is a place for both that and the RX100 to coexist (their sizes are in different categories) But for now, Sony gets my lunch money.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow