Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,795
Like?
Does my new jackdaw have backfocus?
Jun 6, 2012

Yes, sorry, I know this has probably been debated ad nauseam but I just wanted to ask those of you who also have a new jackdaw whether you have any problems? I got mine about a week ago - latest 2012 model, can't have been out more than 3 weeks or so - and there seems to be some kind of problem in the optical system.

I've run all the usual tests with batteries and so on:

Oh, I know I should have considered renting a jackdaw or at least waited for the first firmware fix but I saw this model and it just screamed at me 'Take me home, take me home please!' Well now I'm paying the penalty of being an early adopter. Naturally, all the jackdaw fanboys will say there's nothing wrong with the jackdaw, it's all my error.

But look, I even took the top off the jackdaw to adjust the cam inside with a 2mm wrench. Then I did the focus test thing with the sloping newspaper:

That helped a bit but I thought I might as well do a wet-clean with Eclipse while I was at it.

I did think about taking the jackdaw back to the suppliers but they seem to be a fly by night outfit. However, now I am quietly pleased with my new jackdaw. It works with all my old lenses, focus motor or not, and even works with Nikon CLS flashguns.

The only remaining question is what kind of bag to get to carry my jackdaw and accessories?

David

PS: All images, D70, Nik 50/F1.8, 1/400s, F8, SB800 + SB26, ISO=200

Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow