Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MaxRife
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Deciding between the 35 f1.8G and 20 f2.8D
Jun 6, 2012

I have a Nikon D90 with the 18-105 and 70-300 lenses. I also have a 50 f1.8D lens that I'm really enjoying using. The ability to isolate the subject with the wider aperture is great. I also feel that the fixed focal length forces me to move and consider the shot more than the zoom kit lens. As much as I enjoy using the lens, I'd like to get something wider that is faster than the kit zoom.

I've been considering the 35mm f1.8G for a while, but recently have started thinking about a wider prime such as the 20 f2.8D. I tend to take a mix of photos, with some street, landscape, and portraits (where the 50 is quite good for tight shots). Do you think that the difference between the 50 and 35 focal length is significant enough to justify the purchase, or should I get a wider and lens first? I do like to take pictures in low light when the opportunity arises, being at concerts or night landscapes so am slightly concerned about the f1.8 vs the f2.8 light gathering ability. But that said, I'm aware that the pro zooms are f2.8 and are held in high regard by many.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used any combination of the 50 and the 20 or 35 on a DX format. If you have other lenses to suggest, feel free, but please bear in mind that I'm looking for something affordable and lightweight is a huge plus. I'm not really considering zoom lenses right now.

Thanks for your help.
Max

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow