Lens Choice for Sunrise

Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Vittorio Fracassi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens Choice for Sunrise
In reply to Polariser, Jun 6, 2012

Hi Polariser,

I have never been to the temple but have seen pictures from pros. And I own both the 7-14 and the 12/2.

Obviously when travelling a zoom is preferable over a prime and at that particular site you may not be able to move freely, it appears that it gets crowded at times, a wider field of view may turn out handy.

There is no visible difference in A3+ prints with regards to micro contrast (sharpness) at F4-F5.6 between the 7-14 and the 12/2. To my taste the 12/2 has better colour rendering and at F2 the 12/2 can provide you with the opportunity to reduce DOF in case you wish to compose with a foreground primary or secondary subject.

The big difference is in flare: the 7-14 is a flare-machine at all angles and the 12/2 is particularly well engineered against flare.

So I would take both prime and zoom to be able to shoot with the sun above and below the horizon and from ideal and not so ideal positions. But if I had to choose it would be the zoom.

And allow me to add: hang a ballast to your tripod (stone in a plastic shopping bag?) which for travelling purposes will be too light to provide exactly superposable multiple exposures.

Regards, Vittorio

Vittorio Fracassi's gear list:Vittorio Fracassi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow