Installed Microsoft Security Essentials and two days later nothing works - why?

Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davidevans1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,071
Like?
Installed Microsoft Security Essentials and two days later nothing works - why?
Jun 6, 2012

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've had problems with Amazon wanting me to change my password regularly over the past couple of weeks, and took the matter up with them. They looked into it and said I had Malware and suggested I install Microsoft Security Essentials, which I did on 4th June.
I ran the malware scan and it didn't find anything (on this computer).
Yesterday morning I used the computer.

Yesterday evening I tried using it. Windows opened, but when I went into a program it would open then stop responding, then nothing would open at all. Alt-Ctrl-Del wouldn't even work, so only choice was to power off.
This happened a few times so I left it overnight, but the same this morning.
Safe Mode opened OK.

So I opened again in normal mode, found that the Control Panel would open, and uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials, and everything seems back to normal and working!
I would add I do have Avast Pro Antivirus installed also.
Does anyone know why Microsoft Security Essentials had this effect?

As far as the malware goes I access my Amazon account on this computer (at home), my work computer (which also has Avast Pro Antivirus installed), and on an iPad 2 and IPhone. I've Googled 'malware on iPad' and the consensus seems to be that it shouldn't be a problem, that the Apple operating system provides the security and all programs installed have to come via iTunes.
I dont know whether Avast protects against malware also - does anyone know?
Thanks

-- hide signature --

David

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow