Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FlossTycoon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,871
Like?
S1, S2, S3, S5 Wednesday thread 2012.06.06 + Venus transit
Jun 6, 2012

The big news of the day on Tuesday was the Venus Transit in the afternoon in New Mexice. I thought about the capture for most of the morning to see if I had the equipment to make it all work. I decided to use the S5 and the Nikkor 70mm-200mm f2.8. I attached the Nikkor TC-17 E II since that would slow things down by a stop and a half. Next I screwed on a Singh Ray variable ND filter set to maximum darkness. Finally, I held a regular Nikon circular polarizer for yet another couple of stops of ND. I set the camera to ISO 100 in Manual mode using 1/8000 and f38 which was the tightest I could get. So here is the result. I think it worked out pretty well for a first try. I hope I remember how I did it the next time this comes around.

BIFs are hard enough but a surprise peacock leaping out just insures you have the wrong settings in the camera, 1/350 and AF-S worked pretty good for the donkey but did not capture the bird so well. Colors are nice, though

Alburquerque, NM has a fledgling rail transit system. I worked the lines north to Bernalilo the last time I was here so I went south to Belen in the morning this time. Next visit it will be the farthest line to Santa Fe. The day starts early in the transit industry. The S5 results are nice, though

Belen is the the south end of the system so far. This train has already found the crew swapping ends from the locomotive to the control car on the other end for the return to Alburquerque.

New Mexico does not have many roads across private land allowing access to the railroad tracks. I did find Gas Plant road west of Las Cruces to get a shot of this intermodal train I had chased down. I missed three trains because I could not get to them.

I have reached the turn of the trip and the next couple of weeks are the return to Montana. Here is a train at Luna, NM going past a rustic homesteaders house. I note it survived long enough to get wired for lights.

A special thanks this week to TomC601 who took time from a busy family evening to do a face to face. I can report he is a gracious host and provided a welcome Gelato in the temps going to 116 degrees in Phoenix while I was passing through. Thanks, Tom, it was a pleasure. Let's do it again sometime.

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
TomNew
ColNew
AlanNew
TomNew
BobNew
TonyNew
BobNew
BobNew
TomNew
BobNew
BobNew
MarkNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow