Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,674
Like?
Hawk and Owl, up close and personal
Jun 5, 2012

I never take pics of birds, either sitting or in flight. I like birds, I just shoot more buildings, real estate, bands, events...

I was at a festival over the weekend shooting bands and there were many many tents and booths set up. One was a "raptor rescue" tent. There, perched on their handlers' arms were an Owl and a Hawk. Don't know what kind of owl or even if it was a hawk, but they were raptors!

They dutifully sat there while I snapped their pics. I took many of each. I'm posting two that I worked on in post and I'd like some criticism from you bird photographers as to how I did. The feathers and eyes look crisp enough to me but what do you think? Thanks.

(I also have Greyhound and Great Dane rescue dog pics if you're interested)

Camera was a D5000, lens the 18-105 VR, shot in jpeg. I shot on P and let the camera decide. It stayed at ISO 200 but f/5.6. Maybe a higher aperture would have gotten from beak to eyes in focus, don't know. Too late now!

Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow