Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
bray
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: Macro advice needed
In reply to ffnikclif, Jun 5, 2012

Thank you both for your replies.

@dwa1

The primary subject matter is going to be botanical. Insects and other moving subject, though interesting, would take more a little more experience in macro photography than we have at this point. That being said, I could see her really enjoying the possibility of moving into insects, where I suspect the newer 150mm with both the reach and faster AF would help.

The Canon 500D hadn't even crossed my radar, I will look into that some more, sounds very interesting. And as far as extension tubes, i was hoping to avoid them. Wouldn't I have to get an old manual lens with an aperture ring in order to control the aperture?

@ffnikclif

When you mentioned you were primarily using manual focus, were you shooting stationary subjects? I have to imagine it can get extremely frustrating framing an insect with manual focus and using live view just to have him move a little. Though I guess the wind does that to me often enough with the flowers we shoot and I am in manual focus. Also, would you say there wasn't much difference when it comes to sharpness? Where you on a DX or FX body?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow