Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Michelle Frattaroli
New MemberPosts: 9
Full Frame on the Cheap: 1DsII vs 5D Classic
Jun 5, 2012

I am a photography student in Boston who does most of her work with a 4x5 view camera, shooting landscape and urban night scenes. But I'm looking to pick up a full-frame digital to (a) augment my personal work and (b) to have a camera I can actually find employment with (being broke isn't good when color film is $3/sheet). These snazzy new D800E's and 5DIII's are all fine and dandy if your toilet paper is made of money (don't take that personally, I'm just jealous), but they're way outside of my reach.

I believe I'll be able to afford one of the cameras mentioned, a 1Ds Mk II or a 5D Mk I. I'll grab a few fast prime (probably a 35 and an 85) and a Metz/Vivitar flash or two and be off.

But I'm a bit nervous. I know these cameras were kings in their day, but the technology is changing so fast I'm not sure if they can be taken seriously anymore. I'm hesitant to invest $1500~ in what will turn out to be a relic.

So, my question is twofold

(a) Should I be concerned about the age of these cameras? Would I be better off investing in a newer, small sensor camera?

(b) How would these two cameras (or others which you may suggest) stack up against one another?

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow