How useful would the 100 f/2.8L IS Macro be to me???

Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
eorlingas
Contributing MemberPosts: 612Gear list
Like?
How useful would the 100 f/2.8L IS Macro be to me???
Jun 5, 2012

Hello fellow photogs,

I'm itching to purchase the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro glass, but I'm wondering if it will be slightly redundant given my shooting style & current glass collection.

I'm an amateur photog that shoots for fun only; mainly landscapes, gardens, flowers, and a lot of events as a volunteer. I currently own the 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, and 50 f/1.8 II. I find that what I have can handle most situations, except perhaps when shooting flowers with the 70-200, which can get quite heavy, plus I'm not able to get very close (1.5m minimum), and zooming to 200mm can produce a lot of out-of-focus shots when I shoot wide open.

Given what I've listed, will the 100 macro be quite useful in your opinion, or will it only be useful in certain situations and thus probably not worth the $1000 price tag for an amateur?

Thanks for any input!!!
--
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/2858932117/photos

eorlingas's gear list:eorlingas's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow