Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jezzoh
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Help please GH2/GH3 or EM-5 (OM-D)
Jun 5, 2012

Since the release of the EM-5 I've been reading posts on this forum and various reviews of the new Olympus camera. I currently have a Panasonic G2 and not a lot of spare cash to spend in the current economic climate. I would however like to upgrade to a good camera which will see me through the next 2 years or so. From what I've read my understanding is that the EM-5 is the best micro four thirds camera around in terms of IQ almost to the extent that it can match a middle of the range DSLR. However, the drawbacks of this new camera are for me enough to make me hesitate and consider buying the GH2 at the end of it's current shelf life or to wait for the GH3.

The drawbacks for me are..

1. The size. I have small hands, but what is it with both Panasonic and Olympus drive to reduce the size of these cameras to point and shoot dimensions? I'm also curious to read about the difficulty of left eye viewfinder types like me (also with a larger than average nose) having difficulty with the ergonomics! I hope the new GH3 when it comes out isn't another midget camera.

2. The flip screen on the Olympus.. which actually doesn't. I once had a Canon Pro1 and manage to break the led screen quite easily once with a smallish bash against my knee. Ever since then I've made sure I'd turn the screen inwards on the G2 etc when not in use.

3. Reports of dodgy paintwork on the Olympus and eye cup falling off the viewfinder.
4. Reports of ridiculously tricky menu on EM-5

That's about it.. I don't think the new Olympus camera looks remotely sexy with it's little hump although I'm still flirting with buying it despite what I've mentioned above. The burning question I can't get out of my head is whether the current GH2 is that far behind the EM-5 in terms of IQ? if it's pretty close but not quite as good as the Olympus, I think I might get it as the issues above do not apply to the GH2.

There again maybe I should wait for the GH3 before taking the plunge?

Can anybody help me out with some useful advice?

Thanks

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GH3New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow