Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bray
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Macro advice needed
Jun 5, 2012

I appreciate any suggestions that can be offered here, as I am new to macro. In fact, my wife shares my passion for photography, and she is the one more into macro, while I am more of a landscape shooter. I have a D800 that I use primarily, but that she also uses occasionally.

I would like to add a macro lens to our bag. The only prime I have is a 50 1.8G. Will be purchasing the 70-200 next year probably, which gives overlap with all the relevant focal lengths for macro, so useful focal length outside of macro isn't extremely relevant. That being said, the 60 Nikkor micro might be a bit too close to my 50 prime to justify buying it.

The most important factor would be lens sharpness, especially when paired with the D800, as well as when I convince my wife to start using the tripod. Though I can anticipate most shots being handheld for now. I too will be using this lens, and it will probably see more use on the tripod then.

The 3 I am looking at are (if multiple versions are available, it would be the newest one, unless there is a compelling reason to go with the older one, i.e. sharpness):
Nikon 105mm
Sigma 105mm

Sigma 150mm ( I have heard the old non-OS version was legendary for its sharpness, what about the new version?)

For some reason the Nikon seems to be in short supply (alluded to in another recent post). I don't know if their Sendai plant made this lens or not, or if there are other reasons. Can't be blame them with all they have been through, as well as the floods in Thailand.

The Sigma 105mm is included in the new rebates and is only $739 right now on Amazon.

The Sigma 150mm with OS is $1099.

The Nikon seems to be about $900 when it is in stock.

Any advice is most appreciated. Also, if I am missing a lens in this approximate price range that I should be considering, please suggest it.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow