The gear has nothing to do with it

Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
Re: Now we are stuck with the film for the life of the camera...
In reply to CurtisLewis, Jun 5, 2012

CurtisLewis wrote:

... The big lesson I see that is lost on many that weren't fortunate enough to use film, let alone a darkroom, is that even as good as their 16+megapixel digital is...it's still no replacement for the clarity and rich colors of ecktachrome or the ranges of real b&w film. Sure, they will respond with tech specs to try and prove otherwise, but it's just not the same and I don't expect everyone to understand that.

I'm one of the ones who understands. I still shoot film (started in 1970). When I scan my print film or transparencies and look at the result at 100%, I often think, "Boy, compared to digital at 100%, that looks pretty awful."

But then, I print. And I print big ... bigger than I would dare go with the majority of my DSLRs ... and those same "awful-at-100%" images look just terrific ... richer, fuller, more lifelike than I generally can capture with digital (although my Olympus E's come pretty close ... closer than my Canon or Nikon digitals).

Film is expensive, slow, messy and full of dust no matter how hard I try to clean the film before scanning. But whenever I have the patience to deal with film, I'm simply ecstatic about the result.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
http://www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow