When was the end of Black & White?

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Doug MacMillan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795Gear list
Like?
Define "People"
In reply to Dan Desjardins, Jun 5, 2012

By people, do you mean the average snapshooter or hobbyists?

Back in the 1950's, it was common for local drugstores to do B&W photofinishing. Color prints were inconvenient and expensive. Color film was slow. Things started to change in the 1960's and by 1980, it was hard to get B&W in snapshot format (Instamatic).

As a hobbyist, I always shot B&W film and color slides. I rarely shot color fillm unless it was for snapshots of the family vacation, etc. When I was a professional commercial photographer, I shot all formats, but I did a lot of work in B&W for reproduction. At one point, I would go through at least one box of 500 sheet 8x10 a week. Luckily, I had an automated processor (Kodak Royalprint).

I still love B&W. I use NIK's Silver Efex Pro and print with a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 that will print true monochome. I'm able to get as good or better results compared to my wet lab days.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow