Do you believe successor to Panny 20mm 1.7?

Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?
Do you believe successor to Panny 20mm 1.7?
Jun 5, 2012

Let's face it, the 20mm f1.7 just might be THE lens that made m43. It's still very popular today and constantly out of stock.

I have one but I really can't stop thinking if there will ever be a successor to this lens. On the one hand you can argue that the successor is the 14mm f2.5 or the 25mm f1.4. But really neither of those lenses do what the 20mm does. A pancake fast sharp lens. I wonder if Panasonic introduced those two lenses thinking that people would accept them as a replacement? Or are they just too scared to touch a formula that's so successful?

There is also the issue of price. It seems to me that both Olympus and Panasonic are terrible at predicting the market. OM-D shortages a recent case. But more to the point, if you remember the days when the Oly 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8 were launched together, Oly was advertising the 12mm heavily and just underestimated the success of the 45mm. Fast forward today, and the 45mm is among the most popular m43 lenses. Easily trouncing the 12mm. So it seems that the Oly 45mm and the Panny 20mm being affordable was simply a mistake that slipped through.

This, along with other recent launches such as the 75mm 1.8 and Panny constant 2.8 zooms lead me to believe that if in case the 20mm f1.7 successor is ever made, it will not be worth 400$. Panny and Oly, figured out how to milk us properly now. And the 20mm successor will look to be a good cash cow I think for at least over 500$. Simply because they can.

I really want to see a successor to the 20mm because I've grown to love this lens now. More and more I realize how versatile and useful it is.

What are your thoughts?

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
no.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow