ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jcockeri
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Nikon lense aperture
Jun 5, 2012

Hello

This might be a bit of a noob question, but why does a lense have a certain aperture range when the camera has a range of its own?

I own a Nikon D5100 and my 18-55mm lense has an aperture of f/3,5-5.6, however the D5100 has an aperture range of f/3.5-22.

This is confusing because my camera will allow me to set the aperture at f/22, which makes no sense when the lense only goes to f/5.6. When I'm shooting with a high f-stop - let's say f/18 - am I actually only getting f/5.6 because that's the highest the lense will go to or am I getting f/18 because my camera will allow for that setting?

I'm know this may sound like a stupid question but I'm really confused. A lot of people say to use high f-stop like f/22 for landscapes but I don't see any lenses on the nikon website that go up that high. Does the camera override the lense aperture?

Any clarification on the difference between lense and camera aperure would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Josiah

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow