ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
Newcomer SW advice
Jun 5, 2012

Hi,

I'm wondering if I could seek some advice about software in a Mac environment please. I'm a very experienced photographer, but a very inexperienced user of raw and image manipulation. I only shoot stills and am aiming at minimum PP for a good natural print. I've tended to shoot the highest grade jpegs and print with very limited PP. I'm not a professional. l'd like to stay "mainstream" with SW and to keep it simple.

I shoot with a K5, a G12 and a G1X. We're running an iMac. I've also just bought a 13" Mac Book Air for travel and have bought Photoshop Elements 10 with it (not yet installed). I also have several image packages provided with various cameras over the years, eg DPP, Silky Pix, etc, that I don't use.

Now that I'm retired I'd like to concentrate a little more on trying raw and also trying more image correction. What is the best SW for raw conversion on a Mac? ACR seems to get the tick of approval a lot of the time from DPR. I assume this would integrate well with PSE10.

And for image correction/manipulation? I would typically be interested in DR adjustments, sharpness, distortion removal, cloning out of dust (etc), red eye removal, and occasionally perhaps architectural straightening up and panorama stitching. In the forums there are as many references to LR as to Photoshop for image correction, but I don't really know the difference. Given that I already have PSE10, would I benefit from getting LR, or even be better off with LR, and how does it "fit" with PSE?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow