Safari Advice - bean bag/monopod/something else?

Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
pmallahan
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
Re: Safari Advice - bean bag/monopod/something else?
In reply to nycglobal, Jun 5, 2012

I did one a few years back in the same type of vehicle (a majority of the outfits use this set up that seats 9). I brought a mono-pod and found it to be very useful but a majority of the time I was hand holding the camera. I was only using a D90 with a 70-300, which is a bit lighter than your setup but you won't be holding the camera all day. There's usually a netted tray right in front of each seat so you can put things down and you'll find 90% of your shot will be taken while the vehicle isn't moving. In most of the parks they drive around until they find whatever they're looking for or come across, stop for 10 or 20 minutes and move on. You'll find you will going from one side of the vehicle to the other a lot which is why I didn't think the beanbag would work very well (unless you're in a private vehicle). I found the mono-pod worked out because I could just pop the camera off to go hand held or if I needed reach and want help steadying it I could leave it on. Depending on where you go I think you are going to be surprised just how close they can get to the animals, you won't need as much reach as you think. One last tip, you want to avoid the last row of seats if possible, you'll be going down some very bumpy roads and since that row is behind the rear axle, you really feel the bumps, hold on to your gear when your moving.

You can check out just how close you get here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21377547@N03/sets/72157619215786181/

-- hide signature --

pmallahan
WSSA #324
Nikon D90
18mm-105mm VR AF-S
70mm-300mm VR AF-S
35mm1.8 AF-S
SB-600
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21377547@N03/

pmallahan's gear list:pmallahan's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow