Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bloomoose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215Gear list
Like?
A900 vs. D800 - unscientific comparison - 100% crop
Jun 5, 2012

Whoever shoots portraits or humans will want to know what gain in resolution is to be expected when upgrading or switching to the Nikon D800.

So I have two crops for you from a 3/4 portrait. Aperture was different, as I was not confident to go to f11 yet with the D800. But I surely will use it next time I shoot models in the studio.

Let me say that I really like the D800. It is very smooth and the tonal transitions are nice. But overall you don´t gain much more resolution which is to be expected from a 24 to 36 Mpix gain. Cropping leeway from the A900 was wonderful, the files at lower ISO very clear and skin tones beautiful (more yellow than Nikon). I have no D800E at hand, so results may vary in the resolution department.

With the Nikon I won´t have to change much on skin tones, reduce some red maybe or add a little cyan.

I personally am very interested in the upcoming 24 Mpix Sony FX camera, but honestly, I feel it will be too late to the game. Till Autumn most backorders of D800 will be filled and people will want to upgrade to something more substantial, especially if they already use the excellent A850/A900.

So count me out spending another 2500 € on a camera from Sony. I sold all my FX lenses, the CZ 24-70 and 135 1.8, and my Sony system is almost purely APS-C now. If the price will drop to 2.000 Euros I might consider it, though.

Now, the samples, OOC, converted in LR with default settings. Exif should be embedded. Differences were (A900 vs. D800): f11 vs. f8, ISO 200 vs. ISO 100, CZ 135 vs. Micro Nikkor 105. See how much smoother the D800 files are if not softer. I´m sure that is due to less noise even at base ISO, I don´t think that the D800 will have more to add to the acuity judging from the many comparisons on the web and my own experiences with D3 with and without AA-filter.

-- hide signature --
 bloomoose's gear list:bloomoose's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 +12 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow