I think Sony may have it right

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jay Jenner
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
Re: I think Sony may have it right
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Jun 5, 2012

Getting back to the original post, I do not think Sony have got it right really. As a large company they can do things that smaller companies like Pentax and Olympus cannot. They, along with Canon and Nikon can adopt a scattergun approach and put out loads of similar products in the hope that some will appeal.

The DSLR series - the range has no real direction and they are doing an awful job of trying to market them.

SLT series - advantages, lightweight and shoot fast, full of advanced tricks as you would expect from Sony, but ultimately a rather poor user experience I have found. Photos are so-so.

NEX range. Apart from the NEX7, all the disadvantages of a DSLR and a high end compact in one package. Result!

The NEX7 is a troublesome beast though. I have used these a few times and it is a thing of beauty. The design and handling is lovely. Graceful, modern and sleek. Super build quality. Its one of those things you pick up and go "Oh yeah!" Although I was brought up on film cameras I much prefer this modern look over the retro thing that the OMD has going on.

And the NEX7 has a viewfinder thats almost good enough for me to get used to. And the photos and video are great.

But.....really slow autofocus, poor range of lenses, no weather sealing, flash system mediocre. I would rather stick with my lowly E3 for now.

For Sony to really get it right they probably ought to concentrate on really getting NEX working properly. That could really tempt people who are looking for something really different and fresh. All their other stuff is neither here nor there.
I love their video cameras though.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdloudon/

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow