Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?
no D800(E) and no 5D III instead a 300 f/2.8 II
Jun 5, 2012

I've been following lots of discussions after the announcement of the D800(E).

While I was really positively surprised by the move from Nikon to build a reasonable priced high res camera I was really disappointed by the 5D III and later on of the D800E too.

I spent a weekend with both cameras 5D III and D800E and played with them intensively. Both did not satisfy me at all. Neither de D800E plus the Nikkor lenses nor the 5D III with the lenses I own.

Both cameras are no game changers

The combination Nikkor 14-24 plus D800E (=the best super wide angle lens from Nikon) vs my 5D II plus the TS-E 17 (=best super wide angle lens from Canon - stitched to virtually 11 mm FOV) did not fulfill my expectations - in fact the Canon combination was significantly better in the corners of the 14 mm FOV.

Also the 5D III does not provide improved image quality - IMHO a no go for 5D II owners. (the 5D III is still no sports camera like the 1D IV is and thus not fast enough)

So I bought a 2nd new 5D II for a bargain price (half the price for the 5D III) and today I've ordered the EF 300 L IS USM f/2.8 II simply because I am more then ever convinced that the lens make the difference and not the cameras.

The new contenders in the camera market are IMHO simply a huge disappointment in terms of perceivable printed image quality. The D800E is not as good as the 5D II for architecture (which is kinda funny for a high res camera due to missing lenses in the Nikon portfolio) and the 5D III is plain talking best case a slightly improvement in image quality but it is so small that even 40 inch wide prints show now improvement after carefully optimization in LightRoom 4.1.

So what to do with the saved money for either Nikon and Canon?

I decided it is time to go for the ultimate lens instead a mediocre step ahead with expensive 'future electronics scrap iron'

Thus I ordered today the 300 f/2.8 L IS USM II - will receive it Friday and post some images here as soon as I have some images to show.

No "Look what my 5D III can do . . . that no other camera on this planet can do" - and No "D800(E) is better then 5D III" simply (hopefully) stunning images no D800(E) and 5D III could do without a 300 f/2.8
(no cats images too)

It is my true conviction that the lenses that make the images - the sensor technology must be good enough - but I guess the sensor technology is good enough since at least four years already

No 5D II praising too - simply having fun photographing!

(I guess I am not the only one that is slowly getting board reading 5D III / D800(E) praisers posts)

It was much more silent in the forums before the Nikon fanboys received their new toy and the Canon fan boys felt that the have to "fight" against the evil Nikon fanboys - there is no war - it is only a new sensor and this sensor is still only FF - so nothing special about it - for me the 5D II is still a master pice and a gorgeous tool - but nothing to freak out about too - I freak out about my TS-E 17 and 90, EF 130 f/2.0 and hopefully soon about my ultra fast 300 mm prime

Stay tuned for some images after the weekend

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow