Big Beercan - how do I recognise the correct version?

Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
cplunk
Contributing MemberPosts: 976Gear list
Like?
Re: Big Beercan - how do I recognise the correct version?
In reply to dandoro, Jun 5, 2012

dandoro wrote:

I want to buy a big beercan, but how do I recognise the best version of the Minolta 75-300? Because I see that are at least 3 versions of the same lens - http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Minolta-AF-75-300-F4.5-5.6_lens52.html .

"Big Beercan" is 7 inches long, metal, and labeled "af lens 75-300". The rest of the Minolta lenses in this ranges don't really look much like beer cans, and are thus more generally referred to as Minolta 75-300 lenses.

And one last question - is the Tamron 70-300 USD sharper than the Big Beercan at the tele end, at 300mm?

I think the Big Beercan and the Tamron are both very sharp, I dunno which is sharper. Just about everything about using the lenses (expect the final results) is a lot different, focus speed, noise, weight (although the Tamron is fairly hefty), flare are pretty much all in the Tamron's favor being a new USD lens, My big beercan would hunt, a lot, and was painfully slow on my A330 (the A77 body's screw drive motor made it much better, if your your using a body without the faster motor, it's gonna be slow).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow