Challenge: On the Water

Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194Gear list
Like?
Re: (correction to link #2)
In reply to Slynky, Jun 4, 2012

This is maybe a language catch, especially translated (or more like transposed) between various linguistic concepts.

Considering a boat on the water... it's a default state for the boat, right? When the boat is in the water, it may mean it sunk.

Then again, as English is not my native tongue, I might imagine the word water having the same meaning as a water surface .

In my language, the boat is said to be on the water (meaning: on the surface), underwater (if it has sunk, meaning: under the surface), and in the water (when it has been on dry land and was then launched), and also if it is barely showing over the surface (most of it below, as in swamped).

I couldn't presume to know that much about English as I'm still learning. I'm just trying to describe linguistically related conceptual differences. Thus, it's fair to presume that in or on the water can be sort of equally understood in other ways of thinking.

-- hide signature --

Fil

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow