ultra wide angle zoom for canon 60D

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Re: ultra wide angle zoom for canon 60D
In reply to DAVEBUCK, Jun 4, 2012

DAVEBUCK wrote:

Thanks for the input. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. I am looking seriously at the Sigma 10-20 f3.5. Is there much difference between the f3.5 and the f/4-5.6 model. Pricewise the f/4-5.6 is $449, the f/3.5 is about $579 and the Canon is about $700
Thanks

In a uk mag the Canon scored well for the smoothness of AF & zoom controls with AF being "whisper quiet" & full-time manual override in one-shot AF mode on Canon bodies. I mage quality was "less impressive" especially at the 10mm end, with centre sharpness "the poorest of any in the group" & drops off more towards the corners. Vignetting "very evident at the largest aperture throughout the zoom range" £640. Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 depite ring-type USonic AF "focusing speeds a little slow compared to Canon. Focus ring "quite stiff both in MF & when overriding AF. "The Sigma delivers plenty of sharpness which only drops off towards the corners when using largest aperture. Colour fringing is impressively low although there's a noticeable swing from barrel to pincushion distortion as you zoom from 10-20mm" £490. The Canon scored 3 stars the Sigma 4 stars. Being £150 dearer possibly lost it points on VFM. hpoe this helps. I got the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 & love it to bits. lee uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow