Macro lens for archaeological artifacts?

Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nerdaman
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Macro lens for archaeological artifacts?
Jun 4, 2012

For part of my dissertation I am documenting a collection of artifacts to present in a catalogue. I took some photos last summer, but they look flat and my lens could not focus close enough to capture many of the details I would like to show. I am looking for some advice on purchasing a decent and affordable macro lens that will do the job nicely.

The objects which I need to photograph range from small beads that are about 2mm wide, coins which are about 2cm wide, up to small sculptures that are about 11cm long. I have a tripod that allows me to get as close as 6-12 inches currently. I am looking for a macro lens compatible with a Nikon D5000 that would cost no more than $500 (grad student budget).

Can anyone recommend a macro lens that would be appropriate for such work? I will have a photo tent and good light for shooting, I just really want to get closer and capture the details of these objects. A friend also mentioned extension tubes may be an option as well. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help!

nerdaman's gear list:nerdaman's gear list
Nikon D5000
Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow